Get a clear explanation of microcontroller theory and functional code modules that can be used to create basic embedded system functions.
Take the mystery out of embedded systems design with concrete programming examples. You will learn:
- the anatomy of a real-time kernel by exploring the author`s operating system, MicroC/OS-II;
- key concepts unique to embedded systems and real-time kernels with hands-on exercises manipulating the real-time system modules;
- methods of software development for embedded systems by experimenting with code modules to modify functionality of the systems;
- scaled arithmetic, or fixed-point math, which is an essential concept for skilled embedded systems developers.
Save time building your own RTOS. You will save days - or even weeks - of development time by using the fully functional source code modules that provide the common processes of embedded systems. The author is renowned for his highly consistent code. Hardware interface functions have been carefully isolated in these programs, minimizing the work needed to adapt each module for specific microprocessor hardware. Complete code is provided for these elements, freeing you to work on the unique parts of your designs.
This second edition features revisions that support the latest version of the author`s popular operating system and book, `MicroC/OS-II`. Programs have been reorganized to make them easier to understand and the following sections have been improved:
- A substantially revised chapter on real-time concepts that introduces key concepts unique to embedded systems and the use of real-time kernels.
- A new chapter on PC services (the use of industrial PCs as embedded devices).
- A reference section for each of the building blocks that makes the code easier to use.