Few forces in contemporary society influence the fortunes of tourism destinations more immediately than sport.
From football fans to kayaking, Sports Tourism Destinations: issues, opportunities and analysis examines the planning, development and management of sport tourism destinations. With contributions from international experts, this book looks at the dramatic effects sports tourism has on the economy and future of tourism destinations.
Divided into four parts, the book systematically covers:
* Sports tourism destination analysis: applies principles of destination resource analysis to the study of sport tourism destinations
* Destination planning and development: illustrates the mutually beneficial links between sport, tourism and destination planning.
* Destination marketing and management: explores theoretical and applied aspects of sport tourism destination marketing and management
*Sport tourism impacts and environments: identifies and discusses critical issues of sustainable development at sport tourism destinations
Practical case studies in each chapter illustrate and highlight the links between sport tourism theory and practice.
* A unique text in this fast growing area, focussing on the effects of sporting events on the tourism destination economy
* Contributions from international experts
* Each chapter focuses on practical real life examples and case studies to clearly illustrate the links between theory and practice.