Saint James, Barbados: St. James Parish Church, Sandy Lane, Queen's College, Holetown, Bellairs Research Institute, Platinum Coast

Saint James, Barbados: St. James Parish Church, Sandy Lane, Queen's College, Holetown, Bellairs Research Institute, Platinum Coast

5816790
Добавить в корзину
Описание
Chapters: St. James Parish Church, Sandy Lane, Queen's College, Holetown, Bellairs Research Institute, Platinum Coast. Source: Wikipedia. Pages: 26. Not illustrated. Free updates online. Purchase includes a free trial membership in the publisher's book club where you can select from more than a million books without charge. Excerpt: St. James Parish Church, is located in Holetown, St. James, Barbados. It stands on one of the oldest parcels of consecrated land on the Island, often known in Barbados as "God's acre". The first settlers landed on the island on February 17, 1626 at Holetown not far from the site where the church was eventually built. The settlement there expanded rapidly and it became necessary to erect a place of worship. In 1628 the settlers constructed a wooden building on this site. St. James Parish Church was one of the original six parishes later created under the administration of Sir William Tufton, the sixth Governor of Barbados. After a hurricane on August 31, 1675 which devastated most of the island, a stone structure replaced the former wooden building in the early 1690's. This stone structure was made from coral and limestone from which this non-volcanic island is made. Another violent hurricane struck in 1780 and according to Robert Hermann Schomburgk's 'History of Barbados' only two churches and one chapel remained; St. Andrew, St. Peter and All Saints. There is no specific record of what happened to St. James in the storms of 1675 and 1780 but after the hurricane of 1831 St. James was not among the churches listed as having been destroyed. Schomburgk's states that in 1846 at the time of his writing this book, the building was 54' X 40' in size with a seating capacity of 550 and a congregation of approximately '360 souls'. After nearly 200 years the walls of the original stone building began to decay and were partly demolished and replaced by a larger, more substantial structure in 1874. In 1874,...More: http://booksllc.net/?id=20867226